Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Shopping is bad for your health

So yesterday I had one of my most eventful shopping trips ever. I was just getting a few groceries, and a ball of wool (it’s an addiction, I cannot help myself) and when I had scanned all my items in the aisle where you check yourself out I realised that I had left my handbag in the car. Thankfully the nice lady at the counter was able to take all my items and let me pay here once I returned. I did have a brief panic that perhaps my bag had been in the shopping trolley and been taken but I felt the me forgetting it option was more likely - and I was right.

I then left the store and it has a little area out front where cars are supposed to yield for people crossing with shopping trolleys (trollies looks wrong somehow) etc.. I looked both ways and there were no cars that close, so they could all stop if needed for me. I was about halfway across when I realised that the closest car was going to hit me if I did not take evasive maneuvers. The lady was too busy looking for a close parking spot and not at all busy looking where she was going. She was speeding up and heading straight at me. I abandoned my shopping, although it was a close call I did nearly try and take the trolley with me . Sure enough as I ran away she hit my poor shopping and the trolley fell over. Luckily it is hard to break wool, whereas I am much easier to break so I made a good call. Lady proceeded to get a little hysterical and apologise. Honestly, why do people here spend 10 minutes looking for a close parking spot when they are capable of walking and none of the spaces are more than a minute away from the store?

It’s the trolley I feel sorry for, she may have ended its shopping days forever and they don’t have retirement homes for shopping trolleys.. oh no their fate is far worse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job you didn’t have eggs. Or there’d have been an omlette!

And expecially glad that you weren’t broken.

I almost crushed the LizMobile and the Liz on the Motorway today. I forgot how to merge lanes and almost ended up in a lorry’s cab. Oops!