Saturday, September 2, 2006

Weird people

So today’s blog is about etiquette. When listening in to other people’s conversations (we all do it people let’s get honest here) it should not be obvious to said people that you are eavesdropping. If they are it will only bring an abrupt end to the chatter you are so rudely, but intently, listening to anyway.

This week at Starbucks I was having a little chat to J (sounds like a men in black character) and the girl next to me was just staring at us, quite clearly very interested in what we were discussing (which is odd in itself as we were talking about departmental politic stuff really). She was really rather creepy, she did not even take a break in the stare down to sip her coffee, but she had the coffee to mouth delivery system down pretty well - I don’t, if I did not look I would pour the coffee down my front, but enough of my inadequacies. It was creepy. We ended up sort of turning our chairs and not breaking eye contact as she sort of looked like she would randomly join our conversation at any point.

Now the moral of this story boys and girls is if you are going to be rude and listen in to a converstion - be rude subtely and without any staring.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you were having a conversation worthy of being evesdropped onto. If it happens again you should start talking about random things and try and freak the person out!

Anonymous said...

Oh Yes! I totally agree with the beetle. The more random the conversation turns, the more bizarre the look on the eavesdropper’s face and then you could even turn it to the subject of snooping and that could really freak them out!