Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Automation gone mad

So I should first confess I have had a couple of beers, and the first few were on an empty stomach, so my typo rate may increase in direct correlation with this. Those of you that know me well will know this is a rare occurence nowadays and will not judge me for it. My talk was today, enough said.

So I have decided to blog about toilet related topics again, I worry people will believe it is a regular theme, when in fact I am relatively shy about such matters. Besides today’s tale does not really involve me so much. Anyhow…. the toilets at out conference centre are the wonderful american model of automation to the nth degree. I hate automatic flushes to start as they are never a good guide of when you are done, either catching you unawares literally with your pants down, or not realising you stood up and left about an hour previously. Here you never have to touch anything. The soap is in dispensers with sensors, they actually appear to activate when you move your hand away, causing a swift movement back, which inevitably misses the soap leaving no soap on your hands and a ton in the bowl - this is then repeated till you perfect your backswing! The towel dispensers appear very sensitive and just keep ejecting the paper towels when any movement occurs in their general vicinity. I am sensing a flaw in the whole system and rejoice when I actually have to do something for myself as it tends to be far more efficient.

No comments: