Thursday, July 20, 2006

Demystifying a visit to Coventry…

OK so apparently ’sending someone to Coventry’ is not a universal phrase. I appear to have confused a few people, which was never my intention. It means to ostracise someone - normally by not talking to them. When I first heard this phrase, which was when I was around 6-7 years old, I genuinely thought that my friends wanted to send the poor girl to Coventry (as in the place). I was very confused, but obviously I got the gist eventually. Now we are all on the same page. Group Hug!

Now I fear that I may be inviting the question "Where is Coventry?" Let me preempt that with - HAVE YOU NEVER HEARD OF GOOGLE?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’m familiar with sending people to Coventry. I suspect we threatened to do it to each other when we were little.
I also thought that ‘going round the Wrekin’ was a universal phrase until I got to uni and everyone laughed at me.

Anonymous said...

This would appear to be one of those phrases that is rarely used outside of the UK and even now is probably dying out of everyday conversation. Pity. I quite like it. It has a good quality to it. And without trying to upset anyone from Coventry, have you ever been there? IMO it’s a bit of a hole. But hey that’s just my opinion.