Thursday, July 23, 2009

What I have eaten this week that you may not have

The new no gluten, no dairy me has made things a leetle interesting on the food front. I have been trying a lot of new foods and this week has been no exception. So far:

  1. A cake with no wheat flour, eggs, or dairy - instead it had chickpea flour and tofu in it. Odd. I made lemon chiffon cupcakes. They were not truly awful but would I prefer a "normal" fairy cake, why yes, yes I would.
  2. Umeboshi paste. This is made from pickled Ume (some fruit somewhere between an apricot and a plum - Japanese thing). I did not eat this neat, I made rice balls covered in toasted sesame seeds and the umeboshi went in the rice. They were delicious, especially served with:
  3. Tamari. This is just wheat free soy sauce really.
  4. Three different kinds of milk, none of which were from a cow (or any animal actually). These were rice, soy, and almond.
  5. Ice cream made from coconut milk (guess that makes four types of milk). I think I prefer coconut milk ice cream to the ordinary cow based.
Tomorrow I will be making a pasta, dairy, and meat-free lasagne! (Black bean lasagne - corn tortillas instead of the noodles and I have soy cheese and sour cream).

No comments: