Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Space pen lives to write another day

What I am about to say is a total nerd thing, but I fully embrace my identity so here goes..... Back last March, shortly after my Ph.D. defense, I was at Space Center Houston looking for a space themed gift to buy myself as a little pat on the back. I purchased a space pen, quite a nice one too (John covets it). It has become my favourite thing to write with so I was upset last week when it went missing. I searched high and low and there was no sign of it. Sigh.

A few days later I was doing my laundry and the drier was being unreasonably loud when I went to check on it. I opened the door and rooted around a bit and found the barrel of my pen, which had been separated from the nib, and the inner ink cartridge. This is all slightly puzzling since I was washing my sheets, my WHITE sheets, not items with pockets I may have put the pen in. However, what really struck me was:

1) The pen went through the wash and yet my sheets have absolutely no ink on them at all.
2) The pen writes like a dream still.

I love it more now. It is the pen love of my life thus far. I take thee space pen to be my lawful writing instrument, in washer and in drier.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hee hee. I can totally understand having a favorite pen - a good pen can make a huge difference in your life! Glad that the pen has risen to write another day.